Sunday, October 10, 2010

Camping with Alligators

Lake Charles is a small community. In the car I started playing a game where I would hit the scan button on the radio and get a general survey of what the locals had to listen to. Lake Charles had very few stations, and what they did have was religious, country or sports. Bible belt.

It was a bit difficult to convince the GPS that there was a campground nearby, but once that was accomplished, I made my way in the blinding sunlight that greets the evening westward traveler. Sam Houston Jones campground was my home for the night. It was dark when I finally found where the tent sites were and began setting up my sister's tent for the first time (oops). With minimal gnashing of teeth and only a little swearing, I had a tent, cot and blankets, with my sleeping bag nearby, just in case. I thought I would blog or something, but I snuggled with my phone and dropped off to sleep instead. I woke shivering and realized they did have cold this far south. After furious debates about how cold it would be to get the sleeping bag versus just lie there in my blanket, or maybe just pack up and drive somewhere, I finally sat up and switched coverings. My sleeping bag is awesome. Just before leaving Detroit I found it at an Army Surplus store. It's a -20 F bag. This was my first time using it, I was amazed and relieved and went back to sleep.

In the morning (for real this time), I packed up, but decided to check out the park before leaving. What I thought were low valleys beside the road were swaplands and ponds. There were signs everywhere stating "Alligators in Area" which was charmingly alliterative. I saw three blue herons, a bunch of sleeping ducks, and a bridge crossing over a swamp/pond. It was very different from anything I'd seen before.

I did not see any alligators.

And then camping was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment