Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Orleans-Day

After waking up in a luxurious bed, I ate at the hotel's breakfast and packed up. I decided I couldn't travel all that distance without spending a little more time in the Big Easy. With the car packed and the sun up, I headed back into town.

I parked near the WWII museum and decided to walk around from there. Being a cheapskate, I checked out the gift shop but decided to skip the museum (and the admission). From there I set out on my quest for beignet from the Cafe Du Monde. I understood that they were a sort of doughnut and it sounded like a good midmorning snack.

It was a hearty walk across town. On the way I chatted with a fellow from Australia. He was walking along the sidewalk just ahead of me, and when I caught up to him I struck up a conversation. We walked as far as the cafe, then parted ways. The Cafe Du Monde was packed. There was a line for people to dine in, and a line for carryout. I lined up for carryout and began chatting with the ladies that lined up after me. They were part of of a tour group but seemed very unwilling to share. I turned around and waited for my powdered sugar goodness. While waiting we were treated to a tuba performance. My order of sweets was quickly in hand and I set off for a little more exploring before moving on.

Checking the phone map, I set a course roughly back towards my car, but along the river side of Decater Street. I got as far as Jackson square and found a breakdancing show about to begin. The show was taking place across the street from Jackson square in a stone amphitheater built facing the street. The three performers took awhile to rally the crowd and draw in as many people as they could. They made fun of people and cars, joked about being just out of prison and were generally hilarious. They said their previous jobs were "being in your house when you're not." Later, when they were accepting donations they'd say "your house is safe, your house is safe..."

After the show I headed back to my car, feeling like I got a true taste of New Orleans. When I was almost at my car, I saw something in the distance and took another detour. There was a great painting of a whale on the side of a building, it may have been the aquarium. There was also the Riverwalk mall. I headed toward the mall, considering getting something real to eat, but instead oohed and ahhed the fancy sea-themed decorations. On the way out I noticed a steady stream of people with matching bags and lanyards. It seemed a convention was in town. I debated going in and trying to snag some swag, but first, I had to know what it was. I stopped a gentleman with a lanyard and asked. It was a wastewater management convention. I decided to pass.

I got back in the trusty fit and programmed in a location halfway between New Orleans and Houston, a small Louisiana town called Lake Charles. The plan: Go camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment