Sunday, October 10, 2010

Houston- still being edited

Day 1: (Monday) arrival. Called aunt Joy and managed to navigate to their house. It's a great neighborhood with planned walking paths, community center and pools. Joy was at the store when I arrived, so I played with their awesome little dog, Beau. When Joy got home, she pointed me at their pool control panel and asked me to use my youthful tech-savvy to fix their pool heater. After meditating over the manual for a few minutes, I decided there was something mechanically wrong. We went outside to check it out, found a disconnected wire, reconnected it and fixed the pool! Later we baked cookies and they were delicious. Uncle Jim returned from a conference in New Orleans. The same conference that I had run into while visiting New Orleans.

Day 2 (Tuesday): Enjoyed a morning walk with Joy around the planned walking paths and a great yogurt-granola-fruit salad breakfast. Joy came with me to be a Houston tourist. I had read about the Miller outdoor theatre, which is free and open to the public. Tickets were being released at 10am, so that was our first stop. The show was the Bayanihan Philippine National Dance Company. We saw the show later that night. We went to the health museum which had all kinds of giant body parts and interactive time lapse photo exhibits. There were some that showed the effects of bad habits over time, and some that changed a person's race and gender. After that museum, we were a little pooped, so we decided to head back to the house, but first, we visited the local farmer's market, which Joy had never been to before, anywhere! There were great booths with lavender, cheese, sandwiches, baked goods and honey, among other things. We returned to the house and thoroughly enjoyed the pool. That evening, we went back into Houston to see the Bayanihan Dance show. My favorite number was when a group of men came out with coconut halves strapped to different parts of their body, then used the coconut halves on their hands to hit the others and perform a percussive dance.

Day 3(Wednesday): Culturemap, Houston's place to find out what's happening, was founded by Nic Phillips. After getting in touch with Nic I had an invite to an event called "Ignition". This was where a Chinese gunpowder artist named Cai Guo-Qiang created artwork on panels to be installed at the Museum of Fine Art Houston. He created a design, painted it with gunpowder, and this event was the actual lighting of the gunpowder. I did not get a chance to go the the actual site, but I was able to go the the simulcast show at Saint Arnold's Brewery. In anticipation of this event, I wanted to shop for something fun and fancy to wear. Joy and I went to the Goodwill Select and went shopping. It was pretty great. I got some awesome fancy duds. After Goodwill, we went to a Mexican "dive" as Joy said. It was pretty good and they were really nice. We retired back to the house. I took a nap and then got fancy for my evening out.

I got ready for Ignition, and headed out to St Arnold's brewery. the event was taking place on the second floor. I went up to the counter by the door and actually got to say "I'm on the list". I was then handed a little beer glass, maybe a half pint? In the bottom of the glass were four plastic tokens, yellow with gold writing. These were the drink tokens. Additionally, there were sushi and cupcakes. It was an unusual combination, but quite tasty. the hall was set up with four long rows of tables and three projection screens along the walls. these screens were simulcasting the event. It took much longer to finish the final preparations for ignition then expected. While enjoying food and drink, I met a girl named Michelle and a guy named Mahek. We chatted and there was talk of weekend plans. We all exchanged numbers. As soon as the piece was lit, the staff of Saint Arnold's ushered the crowd out. Mahek was intent on heading to a bar called "The Grove", so we carpooled there. The event he was looking for had ended by the time we got there and my company left to get some rest. I contacted Nic and met him at a bar called Anvil. This place is known for their mixology. Every drink is a work of art and alchol. I got some sort of special with berries in it and chatted with Nic and a friend of his. I have forgotten his name, but he was delightful. After a bit of water, I headed back to Joy and Jim's. There I found Aunt Joy awake, saying she was trying not to worry and was about to send a text. I shared some of my adventures and we both headed to bed.

Day 4:(Thursday) I wore my new thrift store dress and headed out to visit the office of Culturemap. There I met with Nic again and he gave me a tour of the office. It's a nice open layout with lovely wood floors. It looks like a nicely converted warehouse space. Nic also gave me a pass to the butterfly house in the Houston museum of natural science. butterfly, Rothko, byzantine fresco chapel museum, cy twombly gallery, MFAH cafe, CAMH triangle, leftover mexican

Day 5: (Friday) Jim's office at MonoFlo. Post office, HEB, Bank, airport-Dan and Katie, bbq-spring creek, new gmail account

Day 6: (Saturday) biscuits and choc. gravy. beer can house, orange show, cookies, late night run to the HEB, pool, bike

Day 7: (Sunday) french toast, walk, bikeride, pool, Chuy's tex-mex, fashion show, gander mtn, rei, girl shopping, pack. go.

terrible traffic, sprawing sprawl, "quintessential big city" -Jim Putnam
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment