Saturday, October 2, 2010

chattanooga farewell

Departed from Carolyn and Carol's house this morning. I'm about halfway to New Orleans and have stopped for a picnic.

The last two days focused on family. Thursday I visited with my cousin Mark, his wife Heather and their baby Bella Grace. Yesterday (Friday) was visiting with aunt Vicki and Amy's kids, the new baby Hannah, and that crazy duo, Amanda and Jordan. We visited their school and had lunch, then Cousin Andy met Vicki and me. We waited for the kids to get home from school and then proceeded to a corn maze. I didn't see my cousin Amy, she was at work.

After activities with the kids I had Vicki drop me off at the theatre to see The Fantastiks. Andy was going to join me, but couldn't. The show was cute, but not very daring. It did not inspire me to join their team.

The show ended and I found myself without a car, so, eager for adventure, I used the map and GPS on my phone to make my way back to the house. At one point it seemed like cutting through a yard would make a good shortcut. The property was a bit larger than I expected and I ended up crawling through some thorns before making it to the street on the other side.

One of the most interesting things about this visit was the perspectives of my guides and therefore the different sides of the city that I got to see. Uncle Dave and Aunt Rebecca showed me independent shops and galleries. Aunt Carol and Carolyn showed me the well established attractions and historical sites. Aunt Vicki showed me the elementary school and the neighborhoods that she helped with the AA meetings, which are usually invisible to a tourist. Last of all, my wanderings at night showed me the young hip crowd gathering in bars for music, or in coffee shops or front porches.

Amazing







Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.1

No comments:

Post a Comment